Saturday, November 13, 2010

November 13

Dear family,

Now I am in Munich serving primarily in the office as well as covering two wards. Sister Hansen and I function the same as secretaries and are often called the sister assistants. I was surprised with the great responsibility of the new area. Sister Hansen is from Provo, UT, is 5'5" and studied music, Bassoon being her primary instrument. She is absolutely fantastic and we get along really well. I feel like we have been companions for several weeks ... but it's only been two days! As President Condie told me yesterday when I asked what I am supposed to be doing, or what my purpose is in this area, he told me that we are the glue that holds the mission together. No pressure! I am really excited to serve and to help the mission. From the moment I arrived, we already had tasks to deal with, problems to solve and adventures to undertake. I am starting to understand a lot more of how an entire mission needs to function.

So, normally Sister Missionaries do not serve in the office, however, Sister Hansen has a little problem with her feet (understatement of the year), which has impacted her ability to walk. She returned to Provo last year, but was able to come back to the mission. She is clearly needed where she is and she is a blessing to all around her. We are working in the München II und IV wards as well, which I will experience tomorrow. München IV is an international ward, so the meetings will be in English. We have already taught Grace, a mother with three children, a little more about the Restoration. She is very open and excited to found out if the Book of Mormon is true.

München is beautiful and very different from Wien. It is certainly cleaner and does not feel quite like a big city (Wien is a LOT bigger than München, though). It was hard to leave my precious Wien, but I know the Lord has a need for me here with Sister Hansen in this area. Another thing that is different is that our Vorbereitungstag (Preparation Day) is on Saturday!! Surprise! This way we can be in the office when missionaries need things on Monday and we can plan for the week with President Condie. In Wien I knew the Bahn system and area really well and I forgot what it was like to not know exactly where I am and where I want to go and the quickest way to make that happen. Now, we just find the best way that involves the least amount of walking!

So, earlier this week we met with several people in Wien including Frau and Viktoria Varga, Sabrina, Sr. Henkel, and Sr. Urban. It is a very odd feeling to think that the work goes on when I am not there! Sister Covey, Sister Sjoberg and Sister Downs are great missionaries and I know they can handle the work in Wien, but everyone we taught was so precious to me! My responsibilities here are very different than they were last transfer and I look forward to the growth and understanding I will see in the time I have to be here. I know the Lord has a plan for all of His children and he loves them. He may work in mysterious ways, but he can do His work. That I know.

--
Sister Carla June Carroll

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I was in that international ward in Munich when I lived in Germany! But that was almost 20 years ago...

    ReplyDelete