Friday, July 16, 2010

"Music is a fluid carrier of the Spirit"

Precautionary note--this computer keeps freezing, so I won't know what I'll be able to send. This week has been AMAZING in every way. I was so sad to see Sisters Jensen and Allen and Elders Wagley, Guthrie and Pierson leave for Berlin, Germany on Tuesday. It was hard to part with them, but I am so excited thast they are able to serve the Lord in the field of Germany. The field is white already to harvest! In EVERY mission! The sisters were our roommates, so for six weeks, we were able to better get to know them and learn more about them. I love them so very much. By the way, this computer freezes for one minute and then lets me type for one minute. The MTC is so interesting with each computer bug that comes each week. Anyway, the older district sang in Sacrament Meeting before they left--The EFY Melody (translated by them) including the Army of Helaman. I love this song and hearing it from missionaries that I love so dearly on the eve of their departure made me cry, but tears of joy. It seemed so long ago that I was singing that song in preparation for my mission.

We had an amazing fireside with Jenny Oaks Baker. I knew about her before, but had never had the opportunity to see her in concert. She shared her testimony and then played her testimony through the violin. Her nephew, Jared Oaks, played the piano--I recognized him from BYU. He played at almost every BYU concert I attended. Jenny Oaks Baker's father, Elder Dallin H. Oaks, attended the meeting as well. It was an amazing opportunity to feel the spirit so strong. I had many moments of near pure intelligence flowing into my mind. I wrote down a lot of things. One thought that I wrote down to share with Sister Jensen who is cosidering majoring in music was "Because music is a fluid carrier of the Spirit, hearts are healed, tears are shed and testimony is felt when a humble servant of the Lord plays. Music brings people joy and an opportunity to feel the Spirit that they might not have had without it. God gave us music to share with ours." Sorry for the typos, I have to type without looking since the computer onoly responds for about 10 seconds and then freezes for one minute or 3 minutes.

Friday of last week, we finised every German principle to be taught at the MTC. I cannot believe we are done! I am no where near fluent, however, so the next three weeks will be review. We are teaching Hans-Peter Mauer in German, but not getting as far as we would like as I rarely understand what he is saying. I am praying hard for the guidance of the Holy Ghost to understand what he would like to communicate. I am learning two languages--the language of the Spirit and the language of German. I know which is more important. :) Our other investigators are going well. Austin has still not set a baptismal date, but has started to share his own testimony of what he is learning. He has made great progress from the time we started to meet with him when he did not believe in God. Daniel committed to come to church! He actually went last week, but his wife forgot something, so they left before the meeting started. We are excited to talk about his reaction to church and finally sit down and teach hi8m about the restoration. Liz is so popular, that we were not able to meeti her this week since every available time she had was full.

I got an letter this week from Dad explaining my family history! I was so excited to read about my German and Switzerland ancestory and share it with others. Elder Field was able to explain to me where in England some of my ancestors are from. Saturday, our district participated in a fast for Elder Field's broken leg. Instead of fasting from food, we spoke no English. It was really hard, but with a lot of prayer and focus, I only spole three English words the entire day. I felt really weird speaking English after that. I learned so much from that experience.

We got NEW MISSIONARIES! This is the higlhlight of my week. ALL of this new district is going to the Apline German-speaking mission. One of the sisters is already fluent in German (she is a German and English major at BYU and has finished all her German classes and grew up in Germany), so she will leave with us, but we won't see her as she will be moved to a new zone learning the gospel in English (as if she was going English speaking). As my companion, Sister McGuire is now the coordinating sister, we were able to greet them and speak about how things go here at the MTC. It was so much fun to share our testimonies of obedience and encourage and support them. They will all be great missionaries. I'm so excited. I only have three weeks! Where did the time go??

Well, the gospel is true. Ich weiss dass. Always think of your friends and give referrals to the missionaries! Missionary work is 100x harder without the help of the members. Please support your local missionaries and them them this week how much you apprecite their service. Thank you, family, for all you have done for me. I love hearing about how Hyrum and Melissa all got sunburnt on their vacation and how they have had opportunities to share the gospel with friends. Thank you all so much for your updates. The every day little things mean the world to a missionary. I love hearing about your children and each little achievement. I love you all so much, family! This is such an opportunity for me and I hope you are feeling the blessings come for your sacrifices. Press forward, saints!

--
Sister Carla June Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment